It is common that the Gripe Water is seen in every parented household. Why that is given to the baby? How it works? And what are its pros and cons? Gripe water is a non prescription medicine. It is given to soothe discomfort, colic and gastrointestinal ailments in babies.
Gripe water contains herbal ingredients. The ingredients include mainly include Sodium bicarbonate, dill leaves, fennel seeds, ginger extract, chamomile, licorice and lemon balm. The ingredients vary from brand to brand of gripe water.
Here is a video clarifying all about the Gripe Water.
Precautions while feeding gripe water to babies:
- Consult your paediatrician which brand to be used.
- Choose the gripe water which does not include alcohol.
- Sugar may or may not be the part of gripe water. It is better to choose the one which does not contains sugar. The intake of sugar may cause tooth decay in babies.
- Discontinue to use if baby shows any kind of allergy symptoms such as itching, watery eyes, redness on skin or spitting up.
- Do not exceed recommended dosage.
National Center for Biotechnology Information.
Europe PubMed Central.
Tropical Medicine & International Health – Wiley.